Thursday, December 16, 2010

The University of Texas has been a part of my life, essentially it's been my life, since an early age. I don't even remember how my love for Texas came about. I grew up in the small towns and cornfields of the eastern shore of Maryland. There is no connection to Texas whatsoever where I live in my family.

The only family I have in Texas I have is a cousin who lives outside of Dallas. But she's an Oklahoma fan. And she now attends Rutgers University.

My life took a different path when I got my letter of rejection from the University of Texas on March 15, 2010.

My entire life was set on becoming a Longhorn, but instead I ended up with a great educational opportunity at Penn State to pursue all my larger goals of a success career in sports journalism.

I honestly didn't believe my love for Texas would still be this strong. But I'm not into the Penn State spirit. Each human has only one Heart. My Heart can't be in Penn State until it leaves Texas, and it likely never will.

Texas and Penn State square off in the Volleyball national semi-final tonight. I've taken a lot of heat already from some great Penn State friends. Today, I broke out my all burnt orange clothes. Normally, I wear my orange Texas pants and go all orange only for big occasions. Gameday of the Texas Football bowl games, the day of the Red River Rivalry...are some examples of when I go all orange.

Today, I went all orange for the Texas-Penn State matchup. Yes, I did it while walking around Penn State's campus and taking two final exams. I want everyone to know that I am a Texas Longhorn through and through, win or lose.

I support Penn State. This is my school. But the majority of my support goes to Texas. I support both programs, players of both programs, but when it comes gametime, there can only be one. That one is chosen by the Heart. That's the University of Texas.

Last year, these two teams met in December for the national championship. Penn State had its win streak and Texas was seeking its first national title in volleyball.

At the time, I was already accepted to Penn State (got my offer of admission in November) and I was waiting on my Texas decision. At the time, Penn State was the only college I was accepted to. Didn't matter. I rooted my Heart out for Texas to snap that Penn State win streak.

Texas took the 2-0 lead and lost in five sets. It was a heartbreaker.

But for some reason, to me, this 2010 Texas-Penn State match-up means so much more. I've paid attention to the volleyball team throughout the season a lot more than I had in past years. I've watched the seniors play for four years, but honestly watched them more this year than I had in those four years combined.

Facebook has been awesome in allowing me to connect with students at Texas. When the shooting occurred a couple months ago, I was able to get details.

Now Facebook has been great in allowing me to connect with the athletes as well. And I love all those athletes that are so gracious with their time.

I had a brief conversation with Juliann Faucette, a Texas volleyball senior, and I apologized for not being able to support the Longhorns in person because I was at Penn State.

What she said to me then touched my heart, "A longhorn fan IS a longhorn!!! You're a part of the family in my book!!!"

That's the kind of inspiration Juliann is. Well-spirited and all.

My entire time here in my first semester at Penn State consisted of my mind wondering what I would be doing if I was at Texas instead. But knowing that without having personal relationships with the people at Texas, and yet we could be so friendly and feel acquainted, it's a great feeling. Now I know no matter where I am, I'm doing the right thing by carrying my Longhorn Pride.

It's tough when your dreams don't come true. Texas was my dream. For these players, winning a national championship in a Texas uniform is their dream.

They deserve nothing less than having their dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment